I think we all struggle with enough time to grab a healthy lunch. Whether you work a 9-5 job, are a stay-at-home mom or work from home like me, it is a constant challenge. I have gotten in the habit of prepping ahead in the most simplest of ways. No, I am not one of those people that makes 5 meals for the week on Sunday nights to put in my freezer. For some reason that seems too complex for me. If I’m making a salad for dinner, I chop up extra greens and veggies for the next day. Why not make the most of your chopping while you have everything out?
Kale and quinoa are two of my staples – they are definitely super foods and extremely versatile for any type of palette. For starters, you will need a bunch of kale and a bag of quinoa on hand. If these are not pantry staples for you, make that your health goal for the week. Here is my take on a kale salad but make it your own according to your tastes! Let me know in the comments what substitutions you have made.
- Bunch of kale
- 1 cup quinoa (cooked & chilled)
- ½ red onion
- ½ cup thinly sliced red cabbage
- 2 baby cucumbers, chopped
- 2 stems of celery, chopped
- handful of seeds or nuts
- 2-3 Tbsp. olive oil
- 2-3 Tbsp. unfiltered apple cider vinegar
- Cook the quinoa according to the package directions; allow to cool. Wash and de-stem the kale, place in a large bowl. Massage the kale with 1 Tbsp. olive oil and 1 Tbsp. unfiltered apple cider vinegar. Cover the bowl and place in the refrigerator. Once the quinoa cools, place in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
- The kale and the quinoa are your base, now get creative. You may substitute any of the veggies above with what is in your refrigerator.
- To serve place a hand full of kale in a serving bowl, top with ¼-1/2 cup of quinoa, now chop veggies of your choice and sprinkle on top of the salad. Drizzle with additional olive oil and apple cider vinegar or top with your dressing of choice.
- Sprinkle with sunflower seeds or nuts.
- Enjoy your simple, healthy lunch!