In my quest to show gluten/dairy free love to my family and friends I gifted them with homemade gluten free granola this year. Doesn’t everyone get a little tired of receiving plates of cookies and candies and everything sweet around the holidays? If you said no, that’s your sugar high self talking. I love to cook and bake foods that are allergen friendly to show people how tasty gluten/dairy free eating can be and to demonstrate that you don’t have to buy super-expensive and hard to find ingredients in order to do so.
The original granola recipe came from My Whole Food Life and I found this to be an easy, crunchy and full of flavor recipe. I followed the recipe to a T for the first batch, which is what I always do and then the experimenting begins and I don’t think I ever truly go back to the original recipe on anything. I have formatted the recipe below for you to tweak based upon your preferences and what you have in the pantry.
- 3 cups certified gluten free rolled oats
- Pinch of salt
- ¾ cup chopped nuts (any combo)
- ⅓ cup maple syrup or agave
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 2 Tbsp. almond milk
- 2 tsp. vanilla
- ¼ cup applesauce
- drizzle of honey
- ¾ cup dried fruit (cranberries, raisins, dates, or any combination of dried fruit)
- Coconut flakes (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Mix oats, salt, cinnamon and nuts together in large bowl and set aside.
- In separate bowl combine syrup, almond milk, applesauce, vanilla and drizzle of honey.
- Pour wet ingredients into dry ingredients and combine.
- Spread mixture on cookie sheet covered with wax paper. Bake for 16 minutes, remove from oven, mix and put back in oven for 16-17 minutes until golden brown.
- Remove from oven and loosen granola from wax paper, let cool.
- After cool mix in dried fruit and coconut flakes. Package in airtight container.
- Give to everyone you know!